| Buy Local Carbon
New England Farmers Union Education Foundation (NEFUEF) works to protect and enhance the economic well-being and quality of life of family farmers, fishermen, foresters, nurserymen, and consumers in all six New England states.
1. “Buy Local Carbon Credits”: Working with Winrock International, NEFUEF is identifying farming practices for manure and fertilizer management, fuel switching, and energy efficiency upgrades. Dairy, orchards/fruit, greenhouse/nursery, and selected vegetable sectors (potatoes and sweet corn) are most likely candidates for carbon crediting on a large scale in New England. Funding for this program comes from Farm Aid, High Meadows Fund, NH Charitable Foundation, the US Department of Agriculture, and the National Farmers Union. Ends Winter 2013.
2. “Strengthening a New England Coalition on Farm Policy”: NEFUEF and partners American Farmland Trust, Northeast Sustainable Agriculture Working Group, and Wholesome Wave have joined together to raise awareness about farm policy with a focus on the 2012 Farm Bill. Activities are on-going throughout 2012. Follow link to recent webinar series: Northeast Perspectives on the Farm Bill.
3. “Fresh Apple Slices for Institutional Buyers”: In collaboration with its member, the New England Apple Association and with funding from the Association of Family Farms, NEFUEF is exploring the market potential for fresh sliced apples for schools and other institutions in New England. The program is modeled after a successful program in New York State. On-going.
4. “Beginning Farmer Agriculture Alliance”: NEFUEF is a partner with New Entry Sustainable Farming Project to develop an alliance for Massachusetts beginning farmers. This two year project is funded by the US Department of Agriculture. Ends Spring 2013.
5. “Feeding the Hungry”: New England Farmers Union Ed Foundation has joined with National Farmers Union to meet a challenge grant benefiting Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization. When you join New England Farmers Union, your membership dues help NEFU to continue work on our ambitious agenda AND help feed your hungry neighbors. From now until March 1, 2012, $2.50 of every new member’s dues will be matched by NFU, and then that $5 will be matched by the Howard G. Buffett Foundation, resulting in a total donation of $10 to Feeding America. Feeding America will then give all the funds raised from NEFU memberships to nine food banks in our region. Ends March 2012.
6. “Co-operative Education”: Working with a grant from the CHS Foundation, NEFUEF offered curriculum about the cooperative business model to students in agricultural and natural resources programs in New England community colleges. Completed 2011.
7.. “Renewable Energy and Climate Education”: NEFUEF collaborated with National Farmers Union to educate voters in New Hampshire about federal climate legislation and renewable energy issues. The work was funded by the Energy Foundation. Completed 2011.